Thursday, 18 April 2013

RUDY BOIS


When you hear the words young fashion designer, one will implicitly begin to think of dramatic origins stemming from cities such as Paris, London and New York. The world of fashion, as seen from the accolades given and news stories fawned over, rarely seems to have designers who embark on their journey from different places.
Enter Rudy Bois.
As a  young Canadian designer, at twenty four, he believes borders should not be viewed as boundaries when it comes to achieving your dreams.







Q. - Your name is Rudy Bois. How old are you?

Rudy Bois - I’m 24 years old

Q - Where do you live?

RD - Quebec, Qc, Canada, 2 hours from New York, 6 hours from Paris/London/Los Angeles and 14 Hours  from Hong Kong.

Q - What did you always think you were going to be as a child?

RD- Fashion designer and strangely I knew it would be Womenswear.




Q - Where did you study?

RD -I’ve made my fashion marketing studies at Le Campus Notre-Dame de Foy in Quebec City and I’ve made an internship in Paris during my last semester.

Q - Why did you choose to study marketing instead of fashion design?

RB - Basically because I think that how to market brand/products is way more important than having skills to sew and make patterns. Those things are very important too, but I’m more like a cerebral than manual skilled person.

Q - What was the first piece that you ever made?

RB - I was around 12 years old and I made a color block dress with my maternal grand-mother. I still have this dress somewhere in my wardrobe.



Q - How did you feel when you heard that your collection would be taken up by Simons?

RB - I felt much honor and I’m still honored to have my collection being sold at Simons next to those who inspired me for all those years.
I’ve been a bit emotional when I saw for the first time my collection next to Jean-Paul Gautier’s, Balmain’s and Chloe’s.





Q - You've previously stated that your spring summer collection Lux was inspired by the moment “between life and death, and from death into life.’’ I've read that this is because you find that you have gone through your own rebirth. 
How did your rebirth come to pass and how do you find beauty in a moment of metamorphosis that some would view as painful or filled with loss?

RB - That’s a really good question! But finally doing what you were born to do is such a relief!
This power of finally controlling where you go and getting engaged in the path of success is very empowering as well and that’s exactly what Lux was to me.

Q - Do you have a muse? If so, who is she?

RB - For the moment I don’t have, but I wish I had one!



Q - Reading your collection titles you seem like a philosopher. If you were to explain the process of your thoughts, how deep would you say they run?

RB - It never stops in my head!
For the two first collections it was really about how I felt during the process of creation. Using metaphor CLARIFY the use of metaphor (in what sense?) let the people be able to relate in their own way on the theme that inspires my collections the same way visual art open minds and makes you a more conscious person.

Q- Many Canadian designers do not stay in Canada. The Caten twins of Dsquared are enjoying outstanding success in Milan. What do you feel are the biggest contributing factors to the migration of skilled designers?

RB - Unfortunately fashion is not taken very seriously in Canada and I think it’s the main factor of migration of skilled designers. Seriously in what manner?
Perhaps, I think that the location where you are based is a lot less important than it was during the era of when Dean and Dan Caten were in Canada.
Internet and social media contributed a lot to globalization which is a really good thing thought.
Proof is that it has not been a year since I've launched my first collection that I've already got reviews and interviews from all around the world. That’s amazing!


Q -If you had to pick one person, who would your role model be and why?

RB - I’m really into people that start from nothing and decide one day that they will live from their passion.
It really makes  me emotional when I see someone realizing their dreams because I know how powerful they feel at that specific moment.
I have to confess that I’m a fan of Lady Gaga and it’s especially why I’m in love with her.
She has opened so many minds in a short time, she’s really courageous young women and her message is so inspiring for everyone. Be who you really are, stop being afraid of everything and live!

Q - Dior’s look was coined as the ‘new look’. In ten to twenty years would you like Rudy Bois the brand to be defined by such parameters, if so how?

RB - Of course that would be great!
I’m always looking to reinvent things, but in 2013 a lot of things already have been done and it’s a real challenge to find something that can define only RUDYBOIS. 
But I know somehow, I’ll find something.



Q - You work with silk a lot. This is a notably challenging fabric to work with, why use it for your first few collections, is the risk worth it?

RB - The risk is totally worth it.
In any way I don’t like substitutional elements (buying an Android copycat of an Iphone when what you really want is an Iphone for example) so to me working with the best fabrics and to really give the look I had in mind is all I care about. 
So would you say that apart from the challenge it is the possibility in the fabric…?
There is always a solution to any problems anyway and my ‘’Première d’Atelier’’ is very talented and skilled.

Q - What is a typical day for you like?

RB - I’m definitely an early bird!
I woke up around 5:30 am to take all my overseas emails, my social media notifications and answering to all of them.
Then I make time for a little cardio before lunch.
In afternoon I’m working on the next collection (for the moment Spring/Summer 2014), and around diner time I try to be on twitter and Facebook because it’s the best hours of the day to make publicity and get attention. 
I also respond to all my emails through the day with my production team. 
In the evening at 20:00 to be more specific I have to stop working (that’s a rule between my husband (who’s the president of RUDYBOIS) and I.) 
around 21:30/22:00 I fall asleep because I’m burned out




Q - What are your views on Canadian fashion; especially on the topic of women’s fashion?

RB - It’s slowly but surely evolves in a good way!
Fashion becomes more and more important to a lot of people, they’re more curious and curiosity is a good thing!
Globalization makes fashion more accessible in a way that you can find whatever you want including inspiration.
Canada’s quite a young country after all compared to France and England, its normal in a way that the majority of people are less interested by aesthetic, fashion, architecture and art.
It never has been a big deal here in the Americas VS in Europe and I think it does explain a lot about the non-interest majority of people have.


Q. When you say that you feel that Canada does not take fashion seriously, would you mind elaborating that?

RB - Canada is quite a young country and doesn't have strong values when it comes to art and aesthetics, compared to Europe and Asia where it’s very important and valued. 
The proof that Canada doesn't take fashion seriously is that fashion is not regulated by government, so they don’t realize that they can make money out of fashion. In France for example, fashion is rigorously regulated and they do understand that there is billions of dollars to make out of fashion industry.


Q - As an up and coming designer what role do you fee,l, if any bloggers like myself play in the fashion industry?

RB - Of course they play a role in the fashion industry.
Bloggers are the evolution of fashion magazines in a way. I owe a lot to fashion bloggers who gave me a chance by speaking about me and my designs in their blogs and it gives a lot of credibility to my work when it’s time to present it to conventional journalists, stores buyers and celebrities.

Q - Apart from your aesthetic, what shape is the woman that you are designing for? For example the Versace woman is the femme fatale; this body type is often slender and curvy in a lean manner……
RB - RUDYBOIS woman is a strong dramatic woman; her body type is often curvy, her waist is small and she has quite strong shoulders, all that well-proportioned.


Q. You state that you use metaphor when it comes to the process of creation. In what way?

RB - Using metaphor is creating an image, to describe a feeling, a situation or a statement instead of saying it directly. So it let people imagine what they want of it.. it’s a way of pushing people asking themselves questions and when you ask yourself question you grow and you fight against fear.  



Q - As an individual with a unique point of view what do you feel is the key/highest responsibility (responsibilities) of a designer?

RB - The key responsibility is definitely to always question ourselves and our work and find a balance between the business and the art which can be a challenge for every artist.

Q - There are some in fashion who say that the instant access of clothing, enhanced by the use of internet and the media has laid waste to the exclusivity that marked fashion. Furthermore they also feel that this accessibility allows for “high-street” brands and other fast fashion to rip off original designs. Any thoughts?

RB - Those people are not leaving in their time. Of course there is ripping off of original designs, I will probably be a victim of that if it’s not already made but internet and social media is so powerful in a good way when you know how to use it that is normal to see some disadvantages and it’s up to us to adapt to them


Q This question is much lighter (I hope), why did you choose the image that you did to be the representation of who Rudy Bois is to the world?

RB - In fact this image represents me, with a load of Photoshop! That being said it was also a metaphor about the fact that you can become what you want, realizing what you want no matter who you are.
I also think it’s a fun fact or a ‘’secret’’ that no one knows that it’s me on this print …









No comments:

Post a Comment